At PK Metals our mission is to help our customers go green.
We do this by turning the tens of millions of pounds of scrap metal, paper, cardboard, plastics and electronics they bring us into useful commodities. We invite you to learn more about the benefits of recycling by reading the helpful recycling facts below.
The Benefits of Recycling
Please click the link to see a video on the benefits and impact of the recycling industry. Impact of the Recycling Industry
- Recycling aluminum reduces the energy needed to produce new aluminum by 95%. The energy saved is equal to the amount of electricity the average home will use over 10 years.
- Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to run a 100-watt bulb for 20 hours, a computer for 3 hours, or a TV for 2 hours.
- Americans throw away enough aluminum every month to rebuild our entire commercial air fleet.
- Recycling steel saves enough energy to power about 18 million homes a year.
- Every day Americans use enough steel to construct a pipe running from Los Angeles to New York… and back.
- If we recycled one-tenth of the tin cans we throw away, we’d be saving about 3.2 billion cans.
- Most Americans use enough paper and wood products each year to consume a 100-foot tall Douglas fir tree.
- In 2007 the U.S. population recycled more than 56% of its paper products. This impressive figure equals nearly 360 pounds of paper for each man, woman, and child in America.
- More than 400 paper mills in the U.S. use at least some recovered materials in their manufacturing processes.
- Every year Americans use enough plastic film to shrink wrap Texas.
- Americans use 25 billion plastic bottles every year.
- If every American household recycled 1 out of every 10 bottles it used, we’d keep 200 million pounds of plastic out of the landfills every year.
- One metric ton of electronic scrap from personal computers has more gold than 17 metric tons of gold ore.
- In 1998 the amount of gold recovered from electronic scrap in the U.S. was equivalent to more than 2 million metric tons of gold ore & waste.
PK Metals is committed to protecting the environment and is a proud supporter of: